Ah, Paris – the city of love. Who doesn’t dream of spending a year away from what they are familiar with to study in the romantic, aesthetically stunning city of Paris? The abundance of international universities in Paris makes it easy for you to do just that. There’s sure to be a school that fits your needs and budget! Paris was recently ranked the best city for students, and there’s no question as to why. Filled with culture and history and unimaginable beauty – Paris is the perfect city to spend your early 20’s. While this is not an all-inclusive list, it gives you a peek into the best Universities in Paris on offer.
1. Ecole Normale Supérieure: This university was recently ranked one of the top 50 universities in the entire world. There are two main sections – sciences and humanities – and the coursework is extremely rigorous. This is a four year school that typically accepts students that are at least 3-4 years out of high school. It is a small school (slightly over 2000 students total) which means you have more of an opportunity to gain a lasting relationship with your peers and professors. One great thing about this school? If you’re a French citizen, your tuition is paid for and you’re actually paid as a student. Unfortunately the same doesn’t apply if you’re an international student, but I sure wish the US would do that.
Address: 61 Avenue du Président Wilson, 94230 Cachan, France
Phone:+33 1 47 40 20 00
2. Pantheon-Sorbonne University: Also known as “Paris 1”, Pantheon-Sorbonne University is a descendent of the University of Paris – which has ceased to exist since 1970. A much larger university than the Ecole Normale Supérieure, approximately 40,000 students are enrolled. It is made of up five institutes: law, political science, economics, management, and humanities. Students from all over the world are enrolled here, and the Pantheon-Sorbonne University has an incredible network of international relations that stretches across five continents. A perk? This university occupies part of the Sorbonne – which is an incredibly gorgeous and historic building in the Latin Quarter.
Address: 9 Rue Malher, 75004 Paris, France
Phone: +33 1 44 78 33 00
3. École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts: As one of the most prestigious art schools in France, you’ll be sure to get an incredible art education here if you can manage to get accepted. Approximately 40 international students participate in an exchange program every year, so you’ll be sure to have a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds to be inspired by. The school’s programs are five years long, and classes are split into three separate departments: artistic practices, theories of art, and technical workshops. You’re getting both an art history education as well as practical contemporary art practice, so you’ll graduate a well-rounded intelligent artist. The school also holds an impressive collection of paintings, including works by Rembrandt, Michelangelo, van Dyck, and Poussin.
Address: 14 Rue Bonaparte, 75006 Paris, France
Phone: +33 1 47 03 50 00
4. Conservatoire de Paris: Translated to Paris Conservatory, this school instructs students in drama, dance, and music. It was founded in 1795 and split into two separate schools in 1946 – the Conservatoire National Supérieur d’art Dramatique for drama, acting, and theatre, and the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique et de Danse de Paris for dance and music. The Conservatoire de Paris educates approximately 1500 students with 350 professors, so you’ll be sure to get a very personable education. The Conservatoire is very popular with students studying abroad. The ratio of students to teachers ensures that everyone is getting the attention they need to succeed. Many exceptional musicians and actors have graduated from this school including Claude Debussy, Brigitte Bardot, and Edward MacDowell.
Address: 209 Avenue Jean Jaurès, 75019 Paris, France
Phone: +33 1 40 40 45 45
5. École Polytechnique ParisTech: Another one of the top universities in Paris, in fact it is one of the top 50 universities in the entire world, the École Polytechnique Paris Tech is known for providing exceptional education in engineering. The curriculum follows a four-year plan, and foreign students are accepted but must pass the same rigorous exam that all French students are required to pass for acceptance. The programs are extremely difficult, but this prepares students to become world-renowned researchers and leaders. Though not for the faint of heart, you will definitely come out of this program are more well-developed and intelligent individual.
Address: 91128 Palaiseau Cedex, FRANCE
Tél. : +33 (0)1 69 33 33 33
Studying Abroad: Universities in Paris
One of the greatest perks of studying abroad and getting your education at a university in Paris is that getting a higher education is so ridiculously cheap compared to universities in the United States. Why spend $55,000 a year on a top-rated university in the US when you can pay $250 on average per year at one of the famous universities in Paris France? You’re getting just as good of an education (if not better), and you’re gaining an incredible cultural experience on top of it.
No matter what you’re looking for, there’s a university that fits your needs.
Want to take classes in English? Plenty of universities that accept foreign students offer classes in English or additional French classes to make things easier.
Want to take classes only in French? Well, you’re going to the right place. Whether you’re an actor, an artist, a businessman, an engineer or anything in between, the abundance of universities in Paris makes this incredible city an ideal destination for those with an adventurous spirit.